Book Review






Overview

Sherry Turkle starts Part 1 by outlining the thoughts, opinions, and emotions children of all ages have when they encounter and experience different types of robotic technology in Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other. She draws from observations in homes, classrooms, and in laborites at MIT. Her observations and accounts start with interactions with pet-like technologies like Furby or ABIO, a robotic dog. She then tries to capture the emotional experiences humans, children and young adults, have with human-like robots. She ends the first part with some speculations about the impact human-like robots can have in the future.    

In Part 2, Turkle then tackles how these feelings present in teenagers and adults surrounded and bombarded by our technology-driven world. She dives into the impact of technology at our fingertips and technology consumption. Turkle tries to define the human drive to need to be connected through more observations and conversations with students are multiple schools and universities. Naturally, she explores the emotional implications social networking and online role-playing games have on humans by again providing real accounts. The books concludes with impacts and changes including relationships, communication, and characteristics associated with our new technology mindset.       


My Opinions

In the first few chapters, I found myself relating to the children’s experiences playing with a Furby or a Tamagotchis. Being in my thirties, I was the target audience of these toys in their debut. Like the children studied in the book, I can recall staying up late to care for my Tamagotchi and the feeling of sadness when my care was not enough and my pet died.

As the book transitions into human-like robots, my experiences are limited to what I have seen in movies and TV. I am not naive to the fact that these types of robots will do more than replace jobs, but the talk of robot companionship and sex robots pushed beyond my comfort zone.

With the talk of consumption and connectedness in Part 2, I was able to easily relate. I use my computer and my cellphone to maintain personal relationships, gather information, and help me manage my life. I grab for my phone as soon as I wake up to scroll my Facebook newsfeed  and I usually set my alarm using my device right before bed. After reading another book called The Information Diet, I am more aware of my own consumption and the effects the bombardment of information has on me.  

During my teen years, a computer program The SIMS was my only dabble in online role-playing and at the stage I was only interacting with online generated avatars not avatars with another human controlling their moves. I simply never had an interest in this type of game and it is hard for my to understand the complexity of these types of relations and the emotional connection players have with their online communities.

In conclusion, this book provides the reader with real perspectives and personal connections to many different facets of technology. I agree with the thoughts and opinions represented by the author. The authentic accounts are easy to read and relatable. Undoubtedly, technology has changed our world and this book helps explore and begin to understand how humans interpret, relate, and form relationships with technology.                   

Implications for Teachers and Students

          I would suggest teachers interested in understanding their students perspectives in regards to technology should read this book. All age groups are represented and students of all ages are exposed and connected to one form of technology or another. I am certain that a teacher reading this book might already have assumptions about connectedness and information access, but this book might provide an educator with a deeper understanding about emotional connections and impacts technology can have had on students. By reading this book you may end up with insights on how your students approach relationship, take chances, need instant affirmation, and have issues with expression, communication, and being alone.
   


Comments

  1. This book sounds like a great read, especially for older teachers, like myself, who didn't grow up in the age of technology in the same way that our students have been raised.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment