A Call for Change



     My last post sparked my curiosity to try and find what social networking education looks like in schools today. I came across an article The New Lesson Plan for Elementary School: Surviving the Internet which highlights a teacher out of Newark, who is teaching conscious internet consuming and participation. Mrs. Bromfiled's class is part of an experimental curriculum being tested out in New York and New Jersey through Seton Hall University Law School. This curriculum is aimed at addressing "privacy, reputation, online advertising, and over use" with fifth and sixth graders. The education does not stop there. This program has a parent component in which parents learn about the dark sides of technology and that they are their child's model for over consumption.
     It seems like this approach has really raised the bar in digital citizenship. Even if just one lesson stuck with the students or the parents, I am certain they will approach the internet and technology with more understanding and with a sense of cautiousness.  I am left wondering if this type of curriculum will start to pop up in more schools.     


https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/the-new-lesson-plan-for-elementary-school-surviving-the-internet/2018/04/06/8b4a8202-0417-494b-a72b-792221e08e3b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bde093e05a1b



Comments

  1. Hi, Ashley! I am so interested in this lesson plan for conscious consuming and participation. Thanks for finding this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you included digital citizenship in your topic. Because our students are tech savvy so it is essential to incorporate the responsibilities. I also like the fact of including the parents in the curriculum. I feel the parents sometimes do not always have that conversation and instead just block as many things as they can and miss a teaching opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment